I recently moved from Florida to Tennessee. The move is still incomplete – I have to pick up the two most important items – the Wife and the TV…oh and the Dog, so 3.
I have has the not so privileged opportunity of moving several times in the last few years (5 times in 5 Years…TN to FL, Parsonage to Apartment, Apartment to In-Laws which was a temp move, In-Laws to Land O’ Lakes House, LOL House to Tennessee.)
SO, with that experience I offer these tips:
1. DON’T be a ‘Pack Rat’. You will be amazed how packing, moving, and unpacking several times will remove the sentimental value of certain possessions. If you don’t use it or won’t use it, then Lose It!
2. Plan Ahead. If you’re moving, the last thing you want to do is move in a rush. Good planning will help keep you from stressing out over all of the tasks involved in a move.
3. If you have the $$, hire a moving company. If your like me and you have -$$, begin packing at least 5 days before your load day. Begin packing non-essentials, decorations, off season clothing etc. (You’ll be glad you did, trust me the 24 hour packathon is no fun)
4. Check your local grocery store for empty boxes. The moving supply stores charge more than you want to pay for card board boxes. Wine boxes make excellent glass moving boxes.
5. Be aware of excessive long range driving rates from companies like U-Haul and Budget. My rate from Tampa to Knoxville was going to be over $1,700.00. However, my Rate from Tampa to just over the Georgia border was $233.00, and from there to Knoxville was $362.00 for a total of $595.00 – a savings of $1,100.00, which was worth the 30 minute check-in and check-out time.
These are just a few tips – maybe you have some more you can leave for others by leaving a comment below.