The following is an excerpt from last Sunday’s sermon notes. The list originated from a message by Mark Driscoll entitled “Men and Marriage”.
The Scripture teaches that a husband is to love his wife. The word “love” used in Colossians 3:19 and Ephesians 5:25 refers to an active love – a love that is demonstrated with action. The greatest way a husband can demonstrate love to his wife is by honoring her. Here are 8 ways a man can love/honor his wife:
- Honor her maritally. Take a wife honorably. Establish right priorities, and be a one woman man–absolutely faithful to your wife.
- Honor her physically. Be strong for your wife, not against her. Be protective of her and present with her.
- Honor her emotionally. Be emotionally present and intimate.
- Honor her verbally. Speak honorably to her. Speak honorably of her, when she is present and absent.
- Honor her financially. Provide for the financial needs of your family, organize your budget, and be generous towards your wife.
- Honor her practically. Consider her needs and how you can serve.
- Honor her parentally. Be “Pastor Dad” by shepherding your children (praying with them, teaching them about Jesus).
- Honor her spiritually. You initiate and lead prayer, Bible, chats, church attendance, etc. Take responsibility for your church.